Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A More Realistic "To Do" List

I make lists of things I need to accomplish all of the time.  It's even the first item listed at the top of each new "to do" list I make.  See?

         1.    Make a to do list.

At least I get to cross off one item on my list every day.  As for all of those other items, let's just face the facts:  I only make to do lists in order to avoid beginning the tasks I put on the to do list in the first place.

Some people may decide to call this laziness, but procrastination is actually not that easy.  Effective procrastination is an art; it's not for everyone.  There are many people who might feel a lack of intellectual stimulation when attempting to avoid doing what they're supposed to do, but these people tend to lack imagination.

Now, creativity aside, what's really the point of making a to do list?  Is it organization?  Is it responsibility?  Or is it to feel a sense of fulfillment in that you've accomplished goals you've set for yourself?  I believe feeling accomplished is a fantastic way to keep motivated to tackle more difficult tasks. 

So, if I really wanted to feel a sense of accomplishment, my list would look a lot more like this:


  1.  Drink coffee.
  2.  Brush teeth.
  3.  Watch some tv.
  4.  Check my Facebook.
  5.  Update my Facebook status with a witty quip.  If I can't think of one, use a famous quote, or don't even bother updating status at all.
  6.  Eat something.  Ordering deliverable foods preferred. 
  7.  Call some people and chat about nothing important, relevant, or significant.
  8.  Have another cup of coffee.
  9.  Watch some more tv.
  10. Take a nap.
  11.  Do something.
  12.  Watch some dust settle.
  13.  Have a cocktail.
  14.  Enjoy a snack.
  15.  Drop an F-bomb.
  16.  Check email.
  17.  Have another cocktail.
  18.  Dance around the living room (possibly naked, with the shades open).
  19.  Celebrate finally completing a to do list. 
  20. Go to sleep.
The sense of completeness may be overwhelming.  I may feel like a superhero for finally achieving completion after years of struggling with overzealous goal setting in the form of a daily to do list.

Maybe now I will actually do something I should be doing.  You never know.  Stranger things have happened.  Maybe sometime I'll give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment